I see that Slack is getting more popular every day and I wanted to share couple of tips that have helped me optimize it’s usage last few years.
- Use Threads to reply to the message. It makes it much more compact and easier to navigate for everyone.
- Use “ctrl+k” or “cmd+k” shortcut to jump chats, find people etc.
- You can group channels in sections so it’s easier to see most important channels (screenshot below)
- Edit messages by using “up” and “down” arrows and then “e” to edit messages. Makes it much faster than using cursor
- If there are too many Direct Messages and/or Channels you can set to show only unread Direct Messages and Channels, makes it so much more compact
- Use “Remind me about this” functionality when you don’t have time to answer right now or want to see this message later
- If you plan to answer the message later, better let know the person that you don’t have time right now and you will get back later, use functionality described in 6.
- You can turn off “link previews” in the settings, make the messages much easier to navigate. By default it’s on unfortunately
- If not already, add your picture so people can recognize you, I for example use Slack to find people